Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Leftovers...bring on the next meal! Curry Mash

Leftovers are always an area of contention in our house like many others. I can only eat the same thing for a couple of days.  My husband on the other hand can eat the same thing everyday all day long and then my son, "don't even think of feeding me leftovers".  So as a mom, leftovers become an art form when it comes to creative meal preparation

The best thing about leftovers for me is how to challenge the creative part of my mind.  Especially when it begins in the early hours of the morning.  For example, this morning was our traditional Sunday morning Farmer's Breakfast, bacon, eggs, biscuits, fried curried potatoes and, for extra fall kick, fried cinnamon apples.  Can we say, "MMMmm, mmm Good!"  Since this morning was a hurried morning with my husband going to work, we ended  up with quite a bit of leftover curried potatoes.  All I could think about was that wonderful sweet curry smell and how I wanted to have it for dinner.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do?  Off to the fridge to check out what else is leftover and where this road is going to take me.   Let's see, some chicken broth, shredded chicken, misc frozen veggies...sounds like a meal to me!  I decided to call this Curry Mash.  Using the same pan I cooked the curry potatoes in makes the broth/sauce for this extra wonderful!

3 cups leftover curried home fries
3 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen okra
1 medium can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup shredded chicken
salt and pepper to taste

Over medium heat add the chicken broth to your pan that you originally cooked your curried home fries in, the dripping will give you lots of flavor to your broth.  Cook until it comes to a simmer.  Mash your left over home fries and add to the broth mixing well.  Add your frozen veggies, mushrooms and season with your salt and pepper to taste.  Let simmer until it thickens to your liking and veggies are heated through.

This is wonderful as a stand alone soup.  Or thicken and serve over rice, more mashed/smashed potatoes or even noodles.

ENJOY!

No comments: