Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Friday, December 21, 2012

Cherries and Cream Rice Pudding

Happy Friday Everyone!!! Four more days until Christmas! I have no doubt that most of you reading this are in go-go mode getting last minute shopping and baking done.  Me, well, this is my first day of vacation and I am off and running this morning with a full schedule.    I don't know what the weather is where you are, but it's a bit cold here today.  We are a balmy 32 degrees with 30 to 40 mile per hour winds and snow coming down. Wishing right now that my cupboards were a little better stocked so I wouldn't have to go to the store.  But believe me, I am going to get it done and in the kitchen I will be until tonight.

So I have something for you that will warm you to your toes today!  This creamy dessert is so amazing you won't want to put your bowl down.  I made this for my work Christmas Party yesterday and the bowl was quite clean by the time it was over.  Many asked for the recipe, so I figured this made this recipe Blog Worthy for today!  This is definitely a "make ahead" recipe.  I suggest that you start it the evening or day before you will need it.

Cherries and Cream Rice Pudding

6 cups whole milk
3/4 cup Arborio rice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried cherries (you can use more if you like a lot of fruit)
1/3 cup brandy
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups heavy cream

In a bowl, put cherries and brandy together and sit aside to let fruit macerate.  In a 6 quart sauce pan, heat milk and sugar over medium heat stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.  Stir in rice and heat until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover for an hour.  Stir occasionally until creamy and slightly thickened.  Pour finished pudding into a bowl, add vanilla, salt and cherries in brandy. No need to drain the brandy off the cherries.  Cool for about 15 minutes then cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.  This will allow flavors to incorporate. 

Two hours before serving, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.  Fold into pudding and return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Some options: top with chopped toasted pecans or pistachios to give this pudding a little crunch.

 
ENJOY!

No comments: