Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Merry Christmas everyone!!! The holidays are here and now we are all in a mad rush to do last minute shopping, cooking, baking and entertaining.  I don't know about anyone out there, but I think I have gained at least a pound or two in the last two weeks dining and sampling so many amazing creations at different work parties!

Now here we are the weekend before Santa's big debut and it's full cooking throttle for us food enthusiasts!  I feel blessed that I love to be in the kitchen creating during this time of year.  I have friends that dread the whole cooking for the masses frenzy.  This is my comfort zone and love a good cooking challenge!  This post is dedicated to a co-worker and friend, Sue.  She has been a huge supporter of mine both professionally and personally.  She asked for my recipe for Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.  This is one of my favorites because it is simple and feeds quite a few hungry bellies on a cold winter morning.  So here you go Sue! This one's for you :)

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

1lb rolled sausage hot or mild, your preference (I like Jimmy Dean the best)
2Tbsp self rising flour
1Tbsp self rising corn meal
4-6 cups of whole milk (6 cups if you are having more than 3 people)
Fresh ground pepper

In a skillet crumble your sausage and brown until you have pork renderings.  Cook over medium heat.  Once browned, remove the sausage from the skillet with a slotted spoon into a bowel and set aside.  Add the flour and corn meal to the pork renderings and mix well this is what we call a rue.  If you find you don't have enough sausage renderings you can use bacon renderings as a good substitute which also adds awesome flavor to the gravy.  Should become pasty.  Add milk one cup at a time mixing well with the rue.  Use a whisk to work out any lumps.  Once you have added all your milk, add the sausage you set aside.  Stir into gravy mixture and let simmer until gravy thickens to desired thickness.  Add ground pepper at the end to season to your liking.

Serve hot over biscuits of your choosing.  I typically will use Grands Biscuits if I don't have time to make homemade.

 
ENJOY!

No comments: