Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Hump Day!....Let's Get Comfortable Series

Happy Hump Day everyone!!!! I decided that Wednesday deserves to be a day of comfort because it's the middle of the week and we all need a break in the middle.  Let's just take a moment to let out that BIG *sigh* and concentrate on what makes us comfy and happy!

One of my favorite comfort meals as a child was breakfast for dinner.  I remember my mom making chip beef on toast, scrambled eggs and, one of my personal favorites, PANCAKES!!!!  I can say this has to be one of the most comfort giving foods I have ever experienced.  Adding fruit or nuts is what our mom's and grandmothers often did to make our mouths water.  Now it's not just about fruit and nuts, but adding in proscuitto and asparagus drizzled with Hollendaise sauce.  Other pancake dishes include making pancake sandwiches.  The Wig Wam in Canal Winchester, Ohio is known for their wonderful Pancake Record Sandwich, two HUGE pancakes with bacon and eggs sandwiched in the middle drizzled with hot melting butter and maple syrup....oooo yummy!

Today I thought I would share my recipe.  My mom used to make these pancakes for me as a little girl and when I got old enough I started adding to it to make it my own.  Now my son's friends ask to spend the night on the weekends just because they know they will have a wonderful pancake breakfast to enjoy the next morning.

Mama Worley's Old Fashioned Flapjacks

3 eggs
1 c all purpose flour
3tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp wheat germ
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c buttermilk
2 tbsp butter melted

In large bowl beat eggs until fluffy. Add flour, baking powder, salt and both sugars.  Beat until smooth.  Add wheat germ, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla and buttermilk and butter.  Stir in until smooth, don't over mix.  Heat your griddle/skillet, throw on more butter to give your cakes some crust and use a 1/4 cup measure for your batter....or larger if you want bigger pancakes.  Flip once the batter starts to make bubbles on the top.  Cook until golden.

Mixed Berry Syrup

Take two cups berries and mash in a pan.  Add 1 c sugar and heat over medium heat.  Can turn up to medium high and cook until mixture thickens and bubbles. Pour through a strainer and add 1tsp vanilla.  Serve over your cakes and add fresh berries and nuts.  If not sweet enough after mixture thickens add some powdered sugar.  Pour over your hot flapjacks and sprinkle with extra berries.  Ohhh sooo good!

ENJOY!!!!

No comments: