Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Not Quite The Farmers Daughter

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Labor Day Weekend....Mmmmm What to Eat??

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.  http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

I thought I would start with the definition of Labor Day.  It's been a long time since Mr. Snepp's 8th Grade History Class back at Woodward Park MS and I needed a refresher. And I couldn't help but think about what this definition says and what the reality of our current economic situation really is for those of us in the middle class and lower middle class.  So I am dedicating my weekend cookout menu to those of us who work hard but have to stay on a budget!  So I have looked in the cupboards and freezer and this is what I have come up with:

Pulled Pork sandwiches (pork roast from the freezer)
Potato Salad
Hot dogs
Macaroni and Cheese
Baked Beans
Chips

The best part is you can make all of these dishes into other dishes once your cookout is over.  One thing my husband loves are what I call Campfire Scrambled Eggs.  The next morning  scramble some eggs in a bowl and sit aside, cut up your extra hotdogs, put a tab of butter in a hot pan and add the dogs.  Let them brown a little then add your eggs.  When eggs are cooked, I add a slice of cheese if there is any left and take some warm baked beans and put those on top and serve with toast.  Mmmm so very good!

Another idea, add some pulled pork to the mac and cheese, great for a quick dinner :)  Be creative with your leftovers, they will go fast and give you meals for a couple says past your cookout!


No comments: